Nova totius terrarum orbis geographica ac hydrographica tabula [cartographic material] / autore N.I. Piscator ; C.J. Visscher excudebat 1652.
- [Amsterdam] : C.J. Visscher, 1652.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 29 x 43 cm, on sheet 45 x 55 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2015 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale ca. 1:100,000,000.
- Includes ornate border panels of engraved figures of Roman emperors, views of Rome, Amsterdam, Jerusalem, Tunis, Mexico, Havana, Pernambuco in Brazil, and San Salvador.
Map of the world showing the allegorical figures of the four continents, and north and south polar views. Marco Polo's 'Beach' still shown as part of Magallanica sive Terra Australis Incognita. Relief shown pictorally.
Nicolaus Johannes or Joannis Piscator was Visscher's latinised name.
BAC: British Art Center copy is map 2 in part 1 of a composite atlas issued by Nicolaes Visscher with title: Atlas minor, sive, Geographia compendiosa, ca. 1716 (Folio C 2015 1).
- Subject Terms:
- World maps -- Early works to 1800.
- World maps -- 1652.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1652.
- Insets: America septentri onalis
- Magallanica, Terra Australia incognita.