Britannia depicta, or, Ogilby improv'd : being a correct coppy of Mr. Ogilby's actual survey of all [the] direct & principal cross roads in England and Wales : wherein are exactly delineated & engraven, all [the] cities, towns, villages, churches, seats &c. scituate on or near the roads, with their respective distances in measured and computed miles ... / by Eman. Bowen engraver.
- Additional Title(s):
- The fourth edition
- [London] : Printed & sold by Tho. Bowles, print & map seller in St. Pauls Ch. Yard, 1749.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (5,  pages, , 273,  pages of plates) : illustrations, maps, coats of arms ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1808 .O35 1749Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- Continuation of title on title page: "And to render this work universally usefull & agreeable, (beyond any of its kind) are added in a clear & most compendious method: 1. A full & particular description & account of all the cities, borough-towns, towns-corporate &c. their arms, antiquity, charters, privileges, trade, rarities, &c. with suitable remarks on all places of note drawn from the best historians and antiquaries by Jno. Owen of the Midd. Temple gent. 2. The arms of the peers of this realm who derive their titles from places lying on or near the roads. 3. The arms of all [the] bishopricks & deaneries, their foundation, extent, yearly-value, number of parishes &c. 4. The arms, & a succinct account of both universities & their respective colleges, their foundations fellowships &c. Lastly particular & correct maps of all [the] counties of south Britain ; with a summary description of each county, its circumstance, number of acres, boro' & market towns & parishes, air, soil, com[m]odities, manufactures & what each pays in [the] [pari]sh aid &c. The whole for its compendious variety & exactness, preferable to all other books of roads hitherto published or proposed, and calculated not only for the direction of the traveller (as they are) but the general use of the gentleman and tradesman ..."
A reprint of the fourth edition, which was first published in 1724. See Chubb.
Relief shown pictorially.
The title page, maps, and explanatory text are engraved. The table of cities is letterpress printed.
Includes "Table or index of the cities and market towns, &c. ...," pages 1-.
Chubb, T. Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, CLIIIa
English short title catalogue, T228078
BAC G1808 .O35 1749: Bound in contemporary brown leather. Bookplate: Kenney Collection
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Maps.Kenney Collection -- Bookplate.Roads -- Great Britain -- Maps.
YCBA Collections Search
Ogilby, John, 1600-1676, Britannia depicta, or, Ogilby improv'd , 1749
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.