Arrowsmith, Aaron, 1750-1823, Map of Scotland , [1807.]
- Map of Scotland : constructed from original materials under the authority of the Parliamentary Commissioners for making roads and building bridges in the Highlands of Scotlands / by A. Arrowsmith.
- London : Published June 25th 1807 by A. Arrowmsmith 24 Rathbone Place, [1807.]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 4 sheets : joined and laid on linen, copperplate engraving, hand colour ; 178 x 142 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMaps/Atlases 1862 ScotlandYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale approximately 1:253,440 -- (W 7°46'00"--W 0°32'00"/N 58°43'00"--N 54°34'00").
- Relief is shown by shading and hachuring.
Shows title at lower left.
Shows "Scale of English Miles" beneath title at lower left.
Shows imprint in lower margin - on both lower sheets.
The first edition of the map - Moir.
Arrowsmith published a "Memoir" of the map's production in 1809 (see 187.d.15.).
Titled "Map of Scotland, constructed from original materials obtained under the authority of the Parliamentary Commissioners for making Roads and building Bridges in the Highlands of Scotland, by A. Arrowsmith, 1807. Four sheets" in the Catalogue of Maps, Prints, Drawings, etc., forming the geographical and topographical collection attached to the Library of his late Majesty King George the third, etc., London, 1829.
British Museum, Catalogue of Maps, Prints, Drawings, etc., forming the geographical and topographical collection attached to the Library of his late Majesty King George the third, etc., London, 1829
Moir, D.G. The early maps of Scotland to 1850, Volume I, 1807, page 213
BAC: British Art Center copy from the collection of Ernest Augustus Cumberland.
- Subject Terms:
- Scotland -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.