Zeiller, Martin, 1589-1661, Topographia provinciarum Austriacaru[m], Austriæ, Stÿriæ, Carinthiæ, Carniolæ, Tyrolis, etc , 
- Topographia provinciarum Austriacaru[m], Austriæ, Stÿriæ, Carinthiæ, Carniolæ, Tyrolis, etc : das ist Beschreibung und Abbildung der fürnembsten Stätt und Plätz in den osterreichischen Landen. ... / An Tag ins Kupffer gegeben durch Matthæum Merian.
- In Franckfurt am Mayn : [s.n.], 
- Physical Description:
- , 92,  p., 92 leaves of plates (many folded and running over 2 leaves) : ill., maps and plans ; 39 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917.Z45 T67 1677+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Collection of views and maps of the cities and towns of Austria, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, and Tyrol. Part of the 21-volume set of townbooks known collectively as the Topographia Germaniae, published between 1642 and 1688. The text was provided by the German geographer, Martin Zeiller. With over 2000 plates, the series was the most extensive publication of its kind. Most of the plates were engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650) and his sons Matthäus (1621-1687) and Caspar (1627-1686).
First published in 1649.
Title page is engraved.
The appendix and its supplement (Absonderliche beschreibung ...) edited and illustrated with engraved plates by Matthaeus Merian, the younger, and Caspar Merian.
BAC: British Art Center copy main text (with dedication dated Oct. 1677) is followed (without catchword) by the Anhang der Topographiæ provinciarum Austriacarum (52,  p., with separate signature count) with imprint: Franckfurt am Mayn, 1716; the last piece of text (14,  p.; with a corresponding catchword on the preceding register and a separate signature count) is Absonderliche Beschreibung der Herrschafften, Städte und Schlösser, Windhaag, Reichenau ..., with the imprint dated 1656.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary (?) quarter leather and paste paper boards; edges untrimmed. Title label written in ms on spine. Similarly bound with the BAC copies of other titles in the Topographia Germaniae series (D917.Z45 T67+).
- Subject Terms:
- Austria -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Carinthia (Austria) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Carniola (Slovenia) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Chon. -- 1677Styria (Austria) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Tyrol (Austria) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
Maps -- France.
Engravings -- 1677.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.