Zeiller, Martin, 1589-1661, M.Z. Topographia Bohemiæ, Moraviæ et Silesiæ , 1650
- M.Z. Topographia Bohemiæ, Moraviæ et Silesiæ : das ist, Beschreibung vnd eigentliche Abbildung der vornehmsten vnd bekandtisten Stätte, vnd Plätze, in dem Königreich Boheim vnd einverleibten Landern Mähren, vnd Schlesien.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Topographia Bohemiæ, Moraviæ, et Silesiæ
- [Frankfurt] : An Tag gegeben vnndt verlegt, durch. Matthæum Merian in Franckfurt, 1650.
- Physical Description:
- 192,  p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill., maps, plans ; 32 cm (fol. in 4s)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917.Z45 T67 1650+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Collection of views and maps of the cities and towns of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia. Part of the 21-volume set of townbooks known collectively as the Topographia Germaniae, published between 1642 and 1688. The text was provided by the German geographer, Martin Zeiller. With over 2000 plates, the series was the most extensive publication of its kind. Most of the plates were engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650) and his sons Matthäus (1621-1687) and Caspar (1627-1686).
Title page is engraved. Includes head- and tail-pieces, initials. Text in Gothic type.
Page  at end a blank.
Includes Wenceslaus Hollar's etching of Prague (long view).
Pennington, R. Descriptive catalogue of the etched work of Wenceslaus Hollar, 1607-1677, 880
"Bericht an den Buchbinder":  p. bound in at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter leather and paste paper boards; edges untrimmed. Title label written in ms on spine. Similarly bound with the BAC copies of other titles in the Topographia Germaniae series (D917.Z45 T67+).
- Subject Terms:
- Bohemia (Czech Republic) -- Description and travel.Moravia (Czech Republic) -- Description and travel.Silesia -- Description and travel.
Maps -- France.
Engravings -- 1650.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.