Topographia Franconiæ : das ist, Beschreibung vnd eÿgentliche Contrafactur der vornehmbsten Stätte vnd Plätze des Frankenlandes vnd deren die zú dem hochlöbischen fränkischen Craisse gezogen werden.
- Additional Title(s):
Beschreibung vnd eÿgentliche contrafactur der vornembsten stätte vnd plätz des Franckenlandes vnd deren die zú dem hochlöblichen fränkischen craisse gezogen werden.
- In Franckfurt : An tag gegeben und verlegt durch Matth. Merian, [1648?]
- Physical Description:
- , 3-118,  p., 43 leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., maps, plans ; 39 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917.Z45 T67 1648+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The dedication is dated 1648.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter leather and paste paper boards; edges untrimmed. Title label written in ms on spine. Similarly bound with the BAC copies of other titles in the Topographia Germaniae series (D917.Z45 T67+).
Collection of views and maps of the cities and towns of Franconia. Part of the 21-volume set of townbooks known collectively as the Topographia Germaniae, published between 1642 and 1688. The text was provided by the German geographer, Martin Zeiller. With over 2000 plates, the series was the most extensive publication of its kind. Most of the plates were engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650) and his sons Matthäus (1621-1687) and Caspar (1627-1686).
- Subject Terms:
- Franconia (Germany) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works.Franconia (Germany) -- Description and travel.Franconia (Germany) -- History.Franconia (Germany) -- Maps.
Maps -- France.
Engravings -- 1648.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.