Topographia Germaniae-Inferioris : das ist, Beschreibung und Abbildung der vornehmsten Stätten, Vöstungen und Öhrter so wohl in Grund als in Prospect in den XVII Niederlandischen Provintien : liegend, alls Brabant, Limburch, Mecheler, Seldern, Zutphen, Ober Issel, Frissland, Gröningen, Holland, Utrecht, Seeland, Flandern, Artois, Hennegäw, Camerich, Lützenburg, Namur, und Burgund / M.Z.
- Franckfurt am Maÿn : Bey Caspar Merian, 
- Physical Description:
- , 283,  p.,  leaves of plates (104 folded) : ill., 12 maps ; 39 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917.Z45 T67 1659+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Text by Martin Zeiller; illustrations by Caspar Merian and Jan Peeters.
Dedication dated 1659.
Page 187 misnumbered 127.
Last page blank.
Collation of plates based on Schuchhard.
Text printed in two columns.
Title page is engraved, with illustration of the god Neptune.
Originally published in 1654 with printed title: Topographia Circuli Burgundici : das ist, Beschreibung dess Burgundisch- und Niederländischen Craises, oder, Der XVII Niederländishcen Provintzen.
Schuchhard, C. Zeiller-Merianschen Topographieen, 67B.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter leather and paste paper boards; edges untrimmed. Title label written in ms on spine. Similarly bound with the BAC copies of other titles in the Topographia Germaniae series (D917.Z45 T67+).
Collection of views and maps of the cities and towns of the Netherlands, Belgium, and Burgundy. Part of the 21-volume set of townbooks known collectively as the Topographia Germaniae, published between 1642 and 1688. The text was provided by the German geographer, Martin Zeiller. With over 2000 plates, the series was the most extensive publication of its kind. Most of the plates were engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650) and his sons Matthäus (1621-1687) and Caspar (1627-1686).
- Subject Terms:
- Belgium -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Burgundy (France) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Netherlands -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
Maps -- Netherlands.
Maps -- Belgium.
Maps -- France -- Burgundy.
Engravings -- 1650.
YCBA Collections Search
Zeiller, Martin, 1589-1661, Topographia Germaniae-Inferioris , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.