Vanbrugh, John, 1664-1726, The complete works of Sir John Vanbrugh , MCMXXVII-MCMXXVIII [1927-1928]
- The complete works of Sir John Vanbrugh / the plays edited by Bonamy Dobrée : the letters edited by Geoffrey Webb.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Works. 1927.
- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, MCMXXVII-MCMXXVIII [1927-1928]
Plymouth : William Brendon and Son, Ltd., 1927-1928.
- Physical Description:
- 4 volumes : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3737 .A1 1927Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This edition has been printed and made in England for the Nonesuch Press. It is limited to 1300 sets of four volumes on machine-made paper (numbered 111 to 1410), and 110 sets on English hand-made paper (numbered 1-110)."--Volume 1. Verso of title page.
Text of the plays is that of the first edition, collated with one or more subsequent editions, while the letters have been taken from the originals as far as possible.
With views and plans of Blenheim and other buildings designed by Vanbrugh.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 49
BEIN 1977 1152: This set on English hand-made paper.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 45 of 1300. One of 1110 copies on English hand-made paper. Bound in quarter vellum with brown and beige batik paper covered boards.
- v. 1. Note as to the text ; Introduction ; Chronological list of events in Vanbrugh's life ; List of editions ; Main authorities ; The relapse ; The provok'd wife ; A short vindication of The relapse and The provok'd wife -- v. 2. Æsop: Part I and II ; The pilgrim ; The false friend ; The country house -- v. 3. The confederacy ; The mistake ; A journey to London ; The provok'd husband -- v. 4. The preface ; Introduction ; The letters.
- Subject Terms:
- Dramaists, English -- 18th cenury -- Correspondence.Dramatists, English -- Early modern, 1500-1700 -- Correspondence.England -- Historic houses, etc.Historic buildings -- England.Letterpress printing -- Specimens.Printing -- Specimens -- England, 20th Century, London, Nonesuch Press, 1927-1928.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Vanbrugh, John, 1664-1726 -- Correspondence.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.