Montaigne, Michel de, 1533-1592, Montaigne's essays , MCMXXXI 
Montaigne's essays : John Florio's translation / edited by J. I. M. Stewart
- London : The Nonesuch Press, MCMXXXI 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ1642.E5 F56 1931Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "The present text of Florio's Montaigne is based on the third edition of 1632."--Preface.
"This edition consists of 900 copies for sale in England by the Nonesuch Press and 475 copies for sale in the United States by Random House Inc. It has been printed and made in Scotland by R. & R. Clark on Pannekoek Paper and bound by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Company: the whole under the care of Francis Meynell."--Volume 1, page iii.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 74
BEIN Hfb18 124: No. 585.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 306 of a limited edition of 900 copies for sale in England by the Nonesuch Press. Bound in full niger morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Ethics.French essays -- 16th century -- Translations into English.Philosophy, French -- 16th century.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.