Candide, or, Optimism / François Marie Arouet de Voltaire ; translated from the French by Richard Aldington ; with an introduction by Paul Morand ; and twenty illustrations in colour by Sylvain Sauvage.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : The Nonesuch press, 1939.
- Physical Description:
- xix, , 147  pages : color illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ2082.C3 E5 1939Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "This edition of Candide has been composed in Monotype Cochin at the Fanfare Press London to the design of Francis Meynell. It was printed by the Imprimerie Prolat Frères at Mâcon in France on paper especially made at the the Rives mills, and the illustrations by Sylvain Sauvage were reproduced by G. Duval and the Imprimerie Beaufumé in Paris."--Colophon.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 15c
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original quarter red buckram and cream and red patterned boards.
- Subject Terms:
- French fiction -- 18th century.Printing -- Specimens -- England, 20th Century, London, Nonesuch Press, 1939.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Satire, French.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.