Album of carte de visite photographs of British jockeys, [1865?]
- Album of carte de visite photographs of British jockeys.
- Great Britain, [1865?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (50 photographs) ; 15 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF336.A2 A53 1865Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Album of 50 cartes de visite portraits of British jockeys. The portraits are consistent in form, each depicting only the bust of the jockey, against a blank background. The photographs bear heavy hand coloring to emphasize the racing silks worn by the jockeys. The photographs are housed within windowed leaves; printed text at the bottom of each carte de visite is thus obscured. This text is partially visible through slits at the base of each leaf. The printed text varies, sometimes identifying the jockey, frequently noting "copyright registered," and (in one case at least) identifying the publisher as W.H. Mason. Leaves are annotated in graphite with the name of the jockey depicted and a corresponding horse owner (not depicted). The final two portraits are not annotated. The album is signed at front, in black ink: "William Henry Hole, 1865." Hole may be the compiler of the album.
Bound in tan leather, with gilt edges and clasp.
- 1. Martin Starling, late C.C. at Newmarket, in 1871, 77 years old -- 2. H. Covey [jockey]; Mr. Merry -- 3. J. Wells; Sir J. Hanley -- 4. J. Goater; Lord Westmorland -- 5. J. Mann; Lord Stamford -- 6. A. Edwards; Duke of Hamilton -- 7. J. Daley; Duke of Newcastle -- 8. H. Custance; Mr. H. Chaplin -- 9. J. French; Mr. Pryor -- 10. E. Fordham; Duke of Beaufort -- 11. T. Cannon; Marquis of Hastings -- 12. T. Challoner; Mr. R.C. Naylor -- 13. H. Grimshaw, Gladiateur; Count F. De Lagrange -- 14. T. Ashmall; Mr. Bones -- 15. T. Aldcroft; Lord Glasgow -- 16. J. Daley; Baron Rothschild -- 17. J. Morris; Lord St. Vincent -- 18. S. Mordan; Mr. R., Ten Broeck -- 19. A. Deacon; Mr. S. Thellusson -- 20. H. Custance; Mr. G. Bryan -- 21. G. Fordham; Mr. J. Lombard -- 22. H. Parry; Sir F. Johnstone -- 23. H. Grimshaw; Mr. G. Payne -- 24. S. Rogers; Mr. Jackson -- 25. J. Snowden; Mr. W.J. Anson -- 26. T. Ashmall; Lord Falmouth -- 27. J. Osborne; Lord Zetland -- 28. C. Maidment; Mr. H. Savile -- 29. T. Cannon; Mr. T.E. Walker -- 30. T. Challoner; Lord Ailesbury -- 31. T. French; Lord Annesley -- 32. H. Jeffery; Sir G. Chetwynd -- 33. J. Osborne; Mr. J. Johnstone -- 34. S. Hibberd; Mr. Bennett -- 35. D. Butler; Mr. W.S. Cranford -- 36. R. Thomas; Mr. R. Sutton -- 37. J. Snowden; Mr. Watts -- 38. J. Adams; Mr. T.E. Case -- 39. S. Adams; Mr. W. Day -- 40. J. Grimshaw; Lord Coventry -- 41. H. Jeffery; Captain Machell -- 42. H. Clarke; Mr. Denman -- 43. J. Loates; Lord Wilson -- 44. C. Carroll; Captain Grey -- 45. J. Doyle; Colonel Towneley -- 46. H. Parry; Captain White -- 47. J. Morris; Mr. G. Hodgman -- 48. W. Boyce; Mr. Perry -- 49. [unidentified young jockey, in solid blue uniform] -- 50. [unidentified jockey, in blue shirt with black sash and black cap]
- Subject Terms:
- Hole, William Henry -- Autograph.Horse owners -- Great Britain.Horse racing -- Great Britain.Jockeys -- Clothing.Jockeys -- Great Britain -- Portraits.
- Photograph albums.
Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.