Ledbury, Mark (Andrew Mark), James Northcote, history painting, and the Fables , 2014
James Northcote, history painting, and the Fables / Mark Ledbury.
- New Haven : Yale Center for British Art, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 246 pages : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.N79 L43 2014 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This publication accompanies the exhibition Picture Talking: James Northcote and the Fables, organized by the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, and on view from October 2 to December 14, 2014."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- History painting.Northcote, James, 1746-1831 -- Criticism and interpretation.Northcote, James, 1746-1831. Fables.
- Introduction : The Painter Who Pleased Nobody
- Family Portraits
- Ambition and Friendship : Northcote on the Continent, 1777-1780
- 'The Efforts of Pining Genius' : Northcote the History Painter, 1784-1793
- Diligence, Dissipation, Dissent, Disaster : 1795-1806
- Northcote's Patrons in the New Century
- Slighted Beauty and Disappointed Genius : Northcote the Writer
- 'A Skillful Artist in Combinations' : Northcote and 'The Fables,' 1817-1833
- The Fables Manuscripts and Collages.