Panorama of the Progress of Human Life, fashionably display'd : illustrating Shakespears Ages and giving at the same time the manners, costume, amusements, and the field sports of the English people, the whole illustrative of modern characters in a series of many hundreds of moving figures.
- Additional Title(s):
Panorama of human life
- London : Published by S.&J. Fuller, Rathbone Place, April 20, 1820.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print on 3 joined sheets : hand-colored aquatint ; sheets end-to-end 7 x 457 cm, rolled to 10 x 15 cm (scroll format)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.A45 P36 1820 Copy 1 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.A45 P36 1820 Copy 2 FlatView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 474
Designs by Henry Alken, the scenes being miniature adaptations of plates in National Field Sports.
Title and imprint from circular engraved label on verso of first scene.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Contained within original illustrated boxwood roller with engraved label reading: A panorama of human life. Published by S.&J. Fuller, Rathbone Place, London. Price £1.1.0.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 contained within plain boxwood roller, rolled to 12 x 17 cm (scroll format)
Series of 35 colored aquatint scenes depicting incidents in the life of a squire's son.
- Subject Terms:
- Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851. National Field Sports -- Illustrations.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.Manners and customs -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Illustrations.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
Scrolls -- England -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Panorama of the Progress of Human Life, fashionably display'd , April 20, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.