Blome, Richard, -1705, Britania, or, A geographical description of the kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, with the isles and territories thereto belonging , MDCLXXII 
- Britania, or, A geographical description of the kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, with the isles and territories thereto belonging : and for the better perfecting of the said work, there is added an alphabetical table of the names, titles, and seats of the nobility and gentry that each county of England and Wales is, or lately was, enobled with : Illustrated with a map of each county of England, besides several general ones : the like never before published.
- Alternate Title(s):
Geographical description of the kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland
- London : Printed by Tho. Roycroft for the undertaker, Richard Blome., MDCLXXII 
- Physical Description:
- , 464 pages,  leaves of plates (50 folded) : coats of arms, maps ; 36 cm (fol. in 4s)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA615 .B66 1673a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Signatures: pi²A⁶B-3N⁴.
This work is a combination geography and heraldry of England, Ireland, Scotland, and the English colonies. The description of Maryland includes the history, geography, trade, government, and the names of the towns in the colony.
Title page printed in black only; 'England' on the sixth line from the bottom is printed in upper and lower case. Also issued with title in red and black, the word Britannia spelled with two ens, and the word 'England' printed all in upper case (ESTC R7330).
"Alphabetical table of the benefactors to this work": prelim. p.-; followed by  leaves of plates, printed on both sides, of their 806 coats of arms.
"An alphabetical account of the nobility and gentry," p. 345-464, has separate title page.
"Truly described by Bishop Nicolson as a 'most entire piece of theft out of Camden & Speed'."--DNB, v. 5, p. 225.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary sprinkled calf; rebacked. With the armorial bookplates of Belton House and John Ld. Brownlowe, Baron Charleville.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Description and travel.Belton House -- Bookplate.Brownlowe, John, Sir, -1754 -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain.Travel.
- Engravings -- 1673.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.