Bare life , 
- Bare life : Bacon, Freud, Hockney and others : London artists working from life 1950-80 / edited by LWL-Museum für Kunst und Kultur, Hermann Arnhold ; translation, Rachel Michael.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bacon, Freud, Hockney and others : London artists working from life 1950-80
Nackte Leben. English.
- Munich : Hirmer, 
- Physical Description:
- 257 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryN6770 .B3513 2014 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at LWL-Museum für Kunst und Kultur, Münster, August 11, 2014-February 22, 2015.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 251-254).
"The art scene in London from the 1950s to the 1980s was characterised by a tremendous concentration of creativity. In contrast to the international art scene, painters such as Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud, Frank Auerbach, Leon Kossoff, David Hockney, Richard Hamilton, William Coldstream and R.B. Kitaj continued to work figuratively. Man and the mystery of appearance were the focus of their artistic interest. 120 works by 16 artists--some of them not previously shown--provide an extensive overview of the artistic dialogue that took place in London over the course of three decades"--Page 4 of cover.
- Explaining pictures to a living heir / Andrew Brighton -- "The human image in our time" : the reception of British figurative art in Germany / Tanja Pirsig-Marshall -- "This raw thing" : picturing London, 1945-80 / Lee Hallman -- The resonating space between paintings and viewers : phenomena of perception in the portraits of Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud and Frank Auerbach / Invar-Torre Hollaus -- Setting the scene : returning art to life (cat. 1-20) -- Pinning down reality, materiality and representation (cat. 21-41) -- Why not paint one's own life? : David Hockney and R.B. Kitaj at the Royal College of Art, c. 1960 / Eckhart J. Gillen -- "The impersonal eye of the camera" / Lynda Morris -- Addressing popular culture and inventing personal styles (cat. 42-54) -- Studio thinking (cat. 55-81) -- "This is the family from which we spring" : the National Gallery collection and post-war Brtiish painting / Colin Wiggns -- Painting from life : "a long affair with objects, images, appearances, sensations...the passions" / Catherine Lampert -- Finding a likeness that is truthful (cat. 82-102) -- Elegies and enlightenment (cat. 103-117).
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- England -- London -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Figurative art -- England -- London -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.