Crystal Palace : the zigzag puzzle.
- Additional Title(s):
Zig zag puzzle
- [England] : [R.S.W.], [late 19th century]
- Physical Description:
- 1 puzzle (approximately 70 pieces + 1 board) : wood ; 15 x 15 x 1 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1507.J5 C79 1851 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from lithographed label on accompanying box: "Crystal Palace, the zigzag puzzle. R.S.W., trade mark registered."
Similar puzzles, with the same title, where issued in variant sizes. The Jerry Slocum Mechanical Puzzle Collection (Indiana University) includes the puzzle of the present size (6 x 6 inches), as well as variations measuring 4 inches square and 5.5 inches square. The 5.5 inch variation includes an additional printed label: "Crystal Palace, the zig-zag puzzle, prize medal."
Jerry Slocum Mechanical Puzzle Collection, 011248
BAC: British Art Center copy in original green paperboard box, with lithographed title label on top lid.
Wooden mechanical puzzle, a variant form of (and precursor to) the common jigsaw puzzle. Comprises a square wooden board, from which irregular-shaped pieces have been cut away. Into these cutouts are placed 70 wooden pieces (of a lighter shade). The puzzle, or an earlier version, was presumably manufactured for the Great Exhibition of 1851, London, at the Crystal Palace.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition, 1851, London, England)Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.