A survey of the ports on the south west coast of England : from Dover to the Lands-end / by Edmd. Dummer & Capt. Tho. Wiltshaw, Esqrs., Comrs. of His Mties. Navy ; together with Capt. James Conaway and Capt. William Cruft, Masters of Trinity House at Deptford ; delineated in July & Augst. 1698.
- [England], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (78 pages) : manuscript, 17 maps, pen and ink and watercolor ; 37 cm
- Rare Books and Manuscripts(Folio A) Atlas 52Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Scales differ.
- BEIN Covers 32cea +1698: Maps of Shroeham, Bussleton, Poole, and Dartmouth wanting. Armorial bookplate: Trevor Wheler. Bookseller's label: Henry Southern ... London.
Nine copies of the manuscript report were made. They are now held in the following collections: British Library, 3 copies (including: Cartographic Items Maps K.MAR.III.67; and Cartographic Items Sloane MS. 3233); National Maritime Museum, 3 copies (P/34A; P/34B); Royal Geographical Society; Hampshire CC Museums Service; Yale University Library (Covers Manuscript 32cea +1698); and the Yale Center for British Art.
Selected exhibitions: "The Mapmaker's art: 300 years of British cartography" (Yale Center for British Art, January 17-March 12, 1989).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled paneled calf; rebacked.
In 1698, Edmund Dummer, surveyor of the Navy at Portsmouth, surveyed eighteen harbors in just two months, in order to give "an account which way, and at what charge they may be made most usefull for the Navy." His manuscript atlas, with watercolor drawings and detailed notes, provides some of the best contemporary plans of these ports.
The 17 maps comprise: Rye, Pevensey, Cuckmere, Newhaven, Shoreham, Arundell, Southampton (double-page), Bussleton, Beaulieu, Lymington, Christchurch, Poole, Weymouth and Melcomb Regis, Exmouth, Dartmouth, Fowey, Falmouth, and Helford.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Facilities -- Early works to 1800.Harbors -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Navy-yards and naval stations -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Wheler, Trevor -- Bookplate.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Booksellers' labels (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Dummer, Edmund, -1712, A survey of the ports on the south west coast of England ,