Warrell, Ian, Turner's sketchbooks , 2014
Turner's sketchbooks / Ian Warrell.
- London : Tate Publishing, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 240 p. : col. ill. ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 W378 2014 (LC) ;Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 236) and index.
Turner's sketchbooks' offer perhaps themost appealing introduction to the artist.They give us a privileged look over Turner's shoulder, allowing us to witness the creationand development of ideas that can be tracedthrough to his major paintings.In the absence of detailed written accounts ofhis extensive travels, the notebooks are also arecord of his impressions of the many places hevisited across Britain and Europe.This book is the first to survey the fullrange of Turner's sketchbooks, beginning withhis teenage efforts and culminating in the atmospheric colour studies of his last years.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Catalogs.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.