A new map of the English empire in America [cartographic material] : viz Virginia New York Maryland New Jarsey Carolina New England Pennsylvania Newfoundland New France &c. / Revis'd by Ion. Senex 1719. ; J. Harris sculp.
- Additional Title(s):
Inset title: Harbour of Boston or Mattathusetts Bay
Inset title: Generall map of the coasts & isles of Europe, Africa and America
- [London] : [John Senex], 1719.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : engraving, hand colored ; 49 x 58 cm, on sheet 55 x 63 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 3gYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:6,500,000]. Scales of insets vary, -- (W 91°52'00"-- W 66°56'00"/N 59°29'00"-- N 7°09'00").
- Relief shown pictorially.
Original map by Robert Morden.
Dedicated to Henver Edgly Henver.
Inset: The harbour of Boston or Massachusetts Bay.
Inset: A generall map of the coast & isles of Europe, Africa and America.
Reissue of Robert Morden's map of  with changes to author, imprint, and replacement of British coat of arms with dedication to Herver.
From John Senex's "A new general atlas ..., London, 1721," p. 236.
Phillips' Mapping of North America II, no. 750 p. 464-466, State 4.
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored.
Subject: Map of The United States and Canada showing the Appalachian Mountains running from Virginia to central Florida. Includes inset map of the Atlantic Ocean showing the coastlines in America, Africa and Europe. Also includes an inset of Boston.
- Subject Terms:
- Atlantic Ocean -- Maps.Boston (Mass.) -- Maps.Canada -- Maps.United States -- Maps.
- Maps -- United States.
Maps -- Canada.
Maps -- Massachusetts.
Maps -- Atlantic Ocean.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1719.
YCBA Collections Search
Senex, John, -1740, A new map of the English empire in America, 1719
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.