IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Abbott, George, 1803-1838, Drawings for Views of the forts of Bhurtpoore & Weire, 1827?
Drawings for Views of the forts of Bhurtpoore & Weire.
- [India], 1827?
- Physical Description:
- 13 drawings : graphite ; each approximately 19 x 31 cm, on sheets 32 x 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 73 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for the published version of the present set of drawings.
- George Abbott (1803-1838) was a lieutenant in the 15th Native Infantry and served under Lord Combermere during the siege of Bharatpur. The great Jat fortress, which had been a standing menace to British rule ever since Lord Lake failed against it twenty years before, was taken in January 1826 with comparatively little loss of British life. Abbott's drawings show the great fortress after its capture but before a certain amount of judicial demolition took place to prevent further uprisings.
Original graphite drawings by George Abbott for his Views of the forts of Bhurtpoore & Weire (London : J.M. Richardson, ). The published version of the work reproduced the drawings as lithographs, drawn on stone by P. Gauci, William Gauci, James Duffield Harding, James Henry Lynch, Frederick Mackenzie, and J.S. Templeton. The first two drawings comprise the illustrated title page and the dedication (to Lord Combermere).
- Subject Terms:
- Bharatpur (Princely State) -- Pictorial works.Combermere, Stapleton Cotton, Viscount, 1773-1865.Fortification -- India -- Madhya Pradesh -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.India -- History -- British occupation, 1765-1947 -- Pictorial works.India -- Pictorial works.Madhya Pradesh (India) -- History, Military -- Pictorial works.Wer (India) -- Pictorial works.
- Graphite drawings.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.