Wild flowers worth notice : in memory of Miss Rowe of Liverpool.
- [London] : Mandy Bonnell, [2012-2014]
- Physical Description:
- 8 packets (32 drawings) : graphite ; sheets 20 x 20 cm, in box 22 x 22 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.B56 W55 2012Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the artistAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for Miss Rowe's collection of botanical specimens.
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Each of the eight packets contains four sheets of drawings, treating a single species of plant. Some of the drawings also incorporate cut-paper elements. Bonnell identifies five of the species, as follows: Equisetaceae (Horsetail); Ulmaceae; Polypodiaceae; Myricaceae (Bayberry); Hydrocharitaceae. One of the three unidentified species may be dandelion.
"I would like to say thanks to Elisabeth Fairman, Senior Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts, Yale Center for British Art, for the unique opportunity to respond to Miss Rowe's 1961 Herbarium held in their collection; Graham Bignell, New North Press, for hand set typography and printing; Elizabeth Neville for making the box. Mandy Bonnell, 2014."--Colophon.
Includes two printed sheets, bearing the title and the colophon.
Housed in a cloth covered box, the top cover of which is illustrated by Bonnell.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 21
Bonnell spent several weeks at the Yale Center for British Art in 2012, looking carefully at Miss Rowe's box of botanical specimens and making drawings directly from the work of the nineteenth-century amateur botanist. Wild flowers worth notice is the result of her studies. Its title honors Phebe Lankester's nineteenth-century field guide of the same name.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Botanical specimens -- Great Britain.Flowers -- Great Britain.Lankester, Phebe, 1825-1900. Wild flowers worth notice.Rowe, Miss. Collection of botanical specimens.Women in natural history.
Patterns (design elements)
Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.