Cambridgshire [cartographic material] : described with the deuision of the hundreds, the townes situation, with the armes of the colleges of that famous vniuersiti and also the armes of all such princes and noblemen as haue heertofore borne the honorable tytles & dignities of the Earldome of Cambridge / performed by Iohn Speede.
- Additional Title(s):
Cambridgshire described with the division of the hundreds, the Townes situation, with the Armes of the Colleges of that famous University
- [London] : J. Sudbury and G. Humbell, 1610.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : engraving ; 37 x 42 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQR.MC 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of David Alan Richards, Yale BA 1967, JD 1972View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:109,890].
- Covers also part of Lincolnshire, Huntingtonshire, Bedfordshire, Hartfordshire, Essex, Suffolke and the Ile of Ely.
Shows roads, drainage, vegetation, names of colleges, schools, churches and other points of interest.
Inset: [University of] Cambridge.
Appears in: Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine / John Speed. Amstelodami : Hondius, 1616.
Text on verso: "Cambridge-shire", p. 37 (with historiated initial) & "An Alphabetical Table of all the Towns" (with head and tail-pieces), p. 38.
Relief shown pictorially.
Skelton, R.A. County atlases of the British Isles, 1579-1850, p. 39
Speed, J. Counties of Britain : a Tudor atlas, p. 45-48
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. In later frame, 52 x 65 cm.
- Subject Terms:
- Cambridge (England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Cambridgeshire (England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Engraving, British -- 17th century.Heraldry -- England -- Cambridge -- 17th century.University of Cambridge -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1610.
Maps -- England -- Cambridgeshire.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.