Victoria and Albert Museum, In black and white , 2013
In black and white : prints from Africa and the diaspora / Gill Saunders and Zoe Whitley.
- Paperback edition.
- London : V&A Publishing, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 127 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNE780 .V53 2013 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Publication serves as basis for display of graphic images--prints, posters, books and ephemera--from the V&A collection, dating from the 1960s to the present; display on view in Gallery 90 from 29 November 2014 to 6 July 2015.
"This book takes a diverse selection of prints and posters by artists from Africa and the African diaspora, and explores their role as a medium for social and political commentary, and as graphic expressions of personal identity, history and memory."--Back cover.
This book explores prints from Africa and the African diaspora since 1960. As an accessible medium, print bridges the space between fine and commercial art as a vehicle for expression and carries with it a tradition of satire and protest, both social and political. Above all, prints are a means of communication and cultural exchange and, in the context of Africa and the African diaspora, these qualities have had a particular resonance. This book presents and interprets a variety of visual images from the V & A collections in terms of their political and social context, while also addressing their identity as art and design. It includes prints by Uzo Egonu, Carrie Mae Weems, and Chris Ofili, among others, as well as work with an overt political purpose, such as posters attacking the Apartheid policies of South Africa, and material produced by American Black Power organizations such as the Black Panthers.
- Subject Terms:
- African diaspora in art -- Catalogs.Prints -- Africa -- 20th century -- Catalogs.Prints -- Africa -- 21st century -- Catalogs.Victoria and Albert Museum -- Catalogs.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- "So much things to say" : prints from Africa and the diaspora / Gill Saunders and Zoe Whitley