Jansson, Jan, 1588-1664, Comitatis Cantabrigiensis , [not before 1647]
Comitatis Cantabrigiensis : vernacule Cambridge shire.
- Amstelodami : Apud Joannem Janssonium, [not before 1647]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 39.9 x 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 4aYale Center for British Art, Gift of David Alan Richards, Yale BA 1967, JD 1972Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:155,000] -- (W 0°20ʹ0ʺ--E 0°30ʹ0ʺ/N 52°45ʹ0ʺ--N 52°00ʹ0ʺ).
- Map of the county of Cambridgeshire in eastern England.
Relief shown pictorially.
Title in decorative cartouche, flanked by images of scientists.
Includes coats of arms of Cambridge colleges.
With text in German printed on the reverse; pages numbered 261 and 262. The first German edition of Jansson's Novus atlas appeared in 1647 (see Skelton and Fordham).
"From the plate used in the Dutch Appendix 1644 (after Speed, post-1623), with the title reworked. 23 coats of arms and one blank shield."--Skelton.
Skelton, R.A. County atlases of the British Isles, 1579-1850, pages 119
Fordham, H.G. Cambridgeshire maps, pages 121
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. On sheet 49 x 58 cm.
- Subject Terms:
- Cambridgeshire (England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Maps -- England -- Cambridgeshire.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.