Neville, Richard Anthony John, Mr JW Lewin , 2012
- Mr JW Lewin : painter & naturalist / Richard Neville.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Mr. J.W. Lewin
- Sydney, NSW : NewSouth Pub., University of New South Wales Press : 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 272 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.L58542 N48 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 257-260) and index.
Author, illustrator, printmaker and natural historian, John William Lewin created the first illustrated book ever published in Australia - Birds of New South Wales, in 1813. Featuring more than 150 exquisite artworks, Mr JW Lewin takes a fascinating look at Lewin's life and work, his place in colonial Australian society and the natural history craze that swept the world at that time. When Lewin arrived in New South Wales in 1800, the fledgling colony was by no means a favoured destination for artistic, ambitious Englishmen. Yet to Lewin, Australia was simply 'the finest country in the world', and it offered him the respectability and social standing he could never have found in England. Written by Richard Neville, Mitchell Librarian at the State Library of New South Wales, this book is a visually stunning testament to Lewin's artistic legacy.
- Introduction : A singular character -- The heyday for natural history -- The painter of Mile End Old Town -- Natural history illustration : a thriving craft -- A dramatic farewell to England -- Settling into Sydney -- Colonial collectors -- Moving to Parramatta -- Explorations and expeditions -- Australia's first prints -- Preparing Birds of New Holland -- Making a living -- From Parramatta to Sydney -- The mystery of the missing Birds of New Holland -- John William Lewin, gentleman, coroner -- 'Now I am painting in oil' -- Australian artists go to court -- Publishing Birds of New South Wales -- Crossing the Blue Mountains -- Fish catch and Dawes Point -- Working for the government -- 'A very meritorious useful man' -- Epilogue : More for show, than for correctness.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Australia -- Biography.Birds -- Australia -- Pictorial works.Birds in art.Lewin, John William, 1770-1819.Natural history illustration -- Australia -- History.Natural history illustrators -- Australia -- Biography.Naturalists -- Australia -- Biography.Ornithologists -- Australia -- Biography.