IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Jansson, Jan, 1588-1664, Cantabrigiensis comitatus , [not before 1645]
Cantabrigiensis comitatus : Cambridge shire.
- Additional Title(s):
- [Amsterdam] : [Joan Blaeu], [not before 1645]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 40.1 x 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 4bYale Center for British Art, Gift of David Alan Richards, Yale BA 1967, JD 1972View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:155,000] -- (W 0°20ʹ0ʺ--E 0°30ʹ0ʺ/N 52°45ʹ0ʺ--N 52°00ʹ0ʺ).
- Imprint derived from the earliest atlas in which the map was issued.
Issued in this state in successive editions of the atlas until the plate was destroyed in 1672.
Shows hundred boundaries, rivers, woods, parks and settlements ; college coats of arms.
Relief shown pictorially.
With text in French printed on the reverse; pages numbered 227 and 228. The first French edition of Blaeu's Theatrum ... appeared in 1645 (see Skelton).
"After Jansson's map published in 1644. 24 coats of arms and one blank shield, as in Speed; one other blank shield."--Skelton.
Skelton, R.A. County atlases of the British Isles, 1579-1850, p. 77
Fordham, H.G. Cambridgeshire maps, p. 121
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. On sheet 50.1 x 60.4 cm. Accompanied by a 20th-century facsimile of the map.
County of Cambridge.
- Subject Terms:
- Cambridgeshire (England) -- Early works to 1800 -- Maps.
- Maps -- England -- Cambridgeshire.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.