This wondrous land , 2011
This wondrous land : Colonial art on paper / edited by Alisa Bunbury.
- Additional Title(s):
Colonial art on paper
- 1st ed.
- Melbourne : National Gallery of Victoria, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 192 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryN7400.14 .T45 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 191) and index.
This volume presents a comprehensive collection of the National Gallery of Victoria's treasures of colonial works on paper. Works on paper -- watercolors, drawings, sketches, prints, and illustrated books -- played a crucial role in the visual documentation and aesthetic appreciation of Australia's landscapes, inhabitants, flora and fauna in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, offering visual representations of this still mysterious new land to an international audience. The essays provide overviews of significant topics, which are further explored in entries on individual works from the collection.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Australia.Art, Australian -- 19th century.Art, Colonial -- Australia.Art, European.Art, Modern -- 19th century.