La Guérinière, François Robichon de, 1688-1751, Ecole de cavalerie , MDCCXXXIII 
- Ecole de cavalerie : contenant la conoissance, l'instruction, et la conservation du cheval. Avec figures en taille-douce / Par M. de la Gueriniere , ecuyer du Roy.
- A Paris, rue S. Jacques : De l'imprimerie de Jacques Collombat, premier imprimeur ordinaire du Roy, du cabinet, maison & bâtiments de Sa Majesté, Académies des Arts, & Manufactures Royales, MDCCXXXIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 276,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 45 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2007 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With an added engraved title page (included in pagination) depicting the education of Achilles, engraved by Laurent Cars after Charles Parrocel.
Illustrations: 29 engravings, comprising 20 full-page (7 of these, mostly diagrams of dressage exercises, included in pagination and register), 4 double (1 included in pagination and register) and 5 small (within text), by Jean Audran, Jacques Philippe Le Bas and others, largely after Charles Parrocel. Some of the plates are equestrian portraits of noblemen.
With wood engraved initials.
Signatures: pi² (-pi1) ã⁴ A-2M⁴ 2N².
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 46
Brunet, III, 769
Cohen-de Ricci, col. 587-588
Mennessier de La Lance: Bibl. hippique, II, 27
Includes "des tournois, des joûtes, des carousels, & des courses de têtes & de bague," p. 160-171.
With a final section on the diseases of horses and their treatment.
BEIN UUzfe45 733L: Imperfect: one prelim. l., L1, Q2, O3, Y2, M ... 4 l. at end, and 2 ... plate wanting.
BAC: British Art Center copy has armorial bookplate with inscription "Sir Hew Dalrymple Bart. of Northberwick" on inside of upper board. Presentation inscription to A. Forbes Simkin from P. Hunter dated Edinburgh Oct 11 1898 on verso of first free end-paper. Pencil sketch of a horse and rider underneath text on p. 125. Bound in blind tooled mottled calf, with marbled end-papers; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Collombat, Jacques -- Publisher.Dalrymple, Hew, Sir -- Bookplate.Dressage -- Early works to 1800.Horsemanship -- Early works to 1800.Horsemanship -- Equipment and supplies -- Early works to 1800.Horsemanship -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Diseases -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Hunter, P. -- Pres. inscription to A. Forbes Simkins, Oct. 11, 1898.Ring jousting -- Early works to 1800.Simkins, A. Forbes -- Pres. inscription from P. Hunter, Oct. 11, 1898.Tournaments, Medieval -- Early works to 1800.
- Wood engravings -- 1733.
Engravings -- 1733.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.