Overland route to India [cartographic material] / the map drawn & engraved by J. Rapkin ; the illustrations by H. Warren & engraved by J.H. Kernot.
- London ; New York : John Tallis & Company, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 maps on 1 sheet : color ; maps 14.8 x 21.6 and 13.6 x 22 cm, on sheet 37 x 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2015 3oYale Center for British Art, Gift of David Alan Richards, Yale BA 1967, JD 1972View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:21,000,000] -- (W 11°--E 40°/N 58°--N 27°). and Scale [ca. 1:25,000,000] -- (E 32°--E 89°/N 38°--N 4°).
- The first map shows routes from London to the Red Sea: the mail steam packet route; the Marseilles overland routes; the German overland route; and the Euphrates route. Each route is delineated in a different color . The second map shows routes from the Red Sea to Bombay or Colombo and then Calcutta and also a route from Cyprus to the Persian Gulf and Bombay. Also included are vignettes along the margins featuring Post Office, London; Gibraltar; Malta; Suez; Aden; Madras; and Bombay. Relief is shown by hachures.
Prime meridian: Greenwich.
From p. : Tallis's illustrated atlas and modern history of the world : geographical, political, commercial and statistical / edited by R. Montgomery Martin. London ; New York : John Tallis & Co., 1851.
- Subject Terms:
- Europe -- Maps.India -- Maps.Trade routes -- India.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.