The picture alphabet for a good child.
- [England?] : [publisher not identified], [approximately 1850]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (35 cards, 1 box) ; box 9 cm high x 7 cm in diameter, cards 53 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPE1155 .P53 1850 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Issued in a cylindrical lacquer wooden box.
Title from illustrated label on box top.
A copy of the game in the collections of the Lilly Library bears a presentation inscription dated 1860.
The illustrations are wood-engraved.
BAC: British Art Center copy complete. The illustrations are hand-colored.
Educational alphabet game with 35 round cards. On the reverse of cards A-Z are pictures of items corresponding to a given letter (e.g., a butterfly on the card for B). Nine double sided cards have lower case and upper case letters, numbers 0-9, and simple sounds "ba, do, so" etc. The title label on the box top illustrates a woman playing the game with a young child.
- Subject Terms:
- Alphabets.English language -- Alphabet.Toy and movable books -- Specimens.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.