A new and original comic Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty in the wood!, or, Harlequin and the magic horn : 8 plates characters, 13 plates scenes, 4 plates wings, 2 plates of tricks, total 27 plates : adapted only for Pollock's Characters & scenes.
- Additional Title(s):
Sleeping Beauty in the wood!
Harlequin and the magic horn
- [London] : Printed and published by B. Pollock, [between 1876 and 1917]
- Physical Description:
- 16 pages ; 17 cm. and 27 sheets : lithographs ; 17 x 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsToy Theater Pollock SleepingYale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. KrausView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Juvenile drama emerged in England soon after 1800, forming itself from the adult drama of the time. The plays were adapted from their original stage version into a miniature toy version with actors, costumes and scenery intended for a juvenile audience. Characters and scenes were intended to be cut out and dramatized.
Sir Lumley St. George Skeffington's adaptation of The sleeping beauty was first performed at Drury Lane in 1805. See: Speaight.
The present toy theater characters and scenes were first published by John Kilby Green in 1850 and subsequently by John Redington. Pollock succeeded Redington in 1876 and republished the same plays. See: Speaight.
In 1917, Pollock's address changed from "... London, N. ..." (as in the present publication) to "... London, N.1 ..."
The eight sheets of characters include 64 figures.
Speaight, G. The history of the English toy theatre, p. 204
BAC: British Art Center copy is complete. The sheets of characters and wings are cut. Uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's plays, English.
Lithographs -- 1876-1917.
YCBA Collections Search
A new and original comic Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty in the wood!, or, Harlequin and the magic horn , [between 1876 and 1917]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.