IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
The blue jackets, or, Her majesty's service , [between 1876 and 1917]
The blue jackets, or, Her majesty's service : a farce, in one act, adapted only for Pollock's characters and scenes.
- Additional Title(s):
Her majesty's service
- [London] : Printed and published by B. Pollock, [between 1876 and 1917]
- Physical Description:
- 16 pages ; 17 cm. and 9 sheets : lithographs ; 17 x 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsToy Theater Pollock BlueYale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. KrausView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Juvenile drama emerged in England soon after 1800, forming itself from the adult drama of the time. The plays were adapted from their original stage version into a miniature toy version with actors, costumes and scenery intended for a juvenile audience. Characters and scenes were intended to be cut out and dramatized.
Edward Stirling's The blue jackets was first performed at the Adelphi, in 1838. See: Speaight.
"4 plates characters, 3 scenes, 2 wings. Total 9 plates."
The present toy theater characters and scenes were first published by John Kilby Green in 1842 and subsequently by John Redington. Pollock succeeded Redington in 1876 and republished the same plays. See: Speaight.
In 1917, Pollock's address changed from "... London, N. ..." (as in the present publication) to "... London, N.1 ..."
Speaight, G. The history of the English toy theatre, p. 214
BAC: British Art Center copy is incomplete: lacks the booklet (16 pages). The sheets of characters and wings are uncut. Uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's plays, English.
Lithographs -- 1876-1917.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.