Whittington and his cat, or, Harlequin Lord Mayor of London : a new grand old English pantomime : 8 plates characters, 13 scenes, 3 tricks, 4 wings : total, 28 plates : adapted only for Pollock's characters and scenes.
- Additional Title(s):
Harlequin Lord Mayor of London
- [London] : Printed and published by B. Pollock, [between 1876 and 1917]
- Physical Description:
- 16 pages ; 17 cm and 28 sheets : lithographs ; 17 x 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsToy Theater Pollock WhittingtonYale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. KrausView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Juvenile drama emerged in England soon after 1800, forming itself from the adult drama of the time. The plays were adapted from their original stage version into a miniature toy version with actors, costumes and scenery intended for a juvenile audience. Characters and scenes were intended to be cut out and dramatized.
The pantomime version of Whittington and his cat was first performed at Covent Garden, in 1814. See: Speaight.
The present toy theater characters and scenes were first published by John Kilby Green in 1853 and subsequently by John Redington. Pollock succeeded Redington in 1876 and republished the same plays. See: Speaight.
In 1917, Pollock's address changed from "... London, N. ..." (as in the present publication) to "... London, N.1 ..."
The eight sheets of characters include 69 figures (or sets of figures).
Speaight, G. The history of the English toy theatre, p. 216-217
BAC: British Art Center copy is complete. The sheets of characters and wings are cut out. Uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's plays, English.Toy theaters.
Literature of prejudice.
Lithographs -- 1876-1917.
YCBA Collections Search
Whittington and his cat, or, Harlequin Lord Mayor of London , [between 1876 and 1917]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.