Selected essays / by the Reverend Jonathan Swift, D.D., Dean of Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin ; decorated with engravings on wood by Jon Farleigh ; edited by R. Ellis Roberts ; volume one.
- Additional Title(s):
Works. Selections. 1925
- Waltham St. Lawrence, Berkshire : The Golden Cockerel Press, MCMXXV 
- Physical Description:
- , 9-80,  pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3722 .R63 1925+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Here ends Volume I. of Essays by Jonathan Swift. Edited by R. Ellis Roberts, & illustrated with wood engravings by Jon Farleigh. Printed and published at The Golden Cockerel Press, Waltham St. Lawrence, Berkshire, under the direction of Robert Gibbings; and completed on the 14th day of July, 1925. Compositors: A.H. Gibbs and F. Young. Pressmen: A.C. Cooper and W.R. Mills. This edition is limited to 450 copies."--Colophon.
"It was originally intended to issue these essays in two volumes, but owing to an accident in which more than half the edition of the first volume was destroyed, it was decided not to proceed with Volume II. The 190 surviving copies, being complete in themselves, were therefore issued to subscribers according to priority of application."--Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 27
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 274. Bound in quarter parchment with green paper covered boards.
- Subject Terms:
- English essays.Private press books -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence -- Specimens.Satire, English.
- Wood engravings -- 1925.
Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.