Louis I. Kahn in conversation : interviews with John W. Cook and Heinrich Klotz, 1969-70 / edited by Jules David Prown and Karen E. Denavit.
- Additional Title(s):
- [New Haven] : Published by the Yale Center for British Art in association with Manuscripts and Archives, Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University [and] the Architectural Archives, University of Pennsylvania, 
New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press
- Physical Description:
- 287 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.K13 A12 2014 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"In 1969 and 1970, Louis I. Kahn (1901--1974)--one of America's greatest 20th-century architects--participated in a series of interviews with a young German architectural historian, Heinrich Klotz, then a visiting professor at Yale University, and John W. Cook, who was teaching architecture at the Yale Divinity School. Louis I. Kahn in Conversation provides the first full edited transcript of these candid, illuminating interviews, which provide remarkable insights into Kahn's philosophy of architecture. The conversations touch on many of his iconic works, including the unbuilt City Tower Project for Philadelphia, the Yale University Art Gallery, the First Unitarian Church in Rochester, and major international projects then under construction, as well as the Yale Center for British Art, Kahn's final building, on which he was beginning work at the time. Illustrated with dozens of plans, drawings, and photographs, the book also features an introduction by Jules David Prown, the first director of the Yale Center for British Art, who recommended Kahn as its architect"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture.Kahn, Louis I., 1901-1974 -- Interviews.
YCBA Collections Search
Kahn, Louis I., 1901-1974, Louis I. Kahn in conversation ,