Lawrence, T. E. (Thomas Edward), 1888-1935, Crusader castles , 1936
Crusader castles / by T.E. Lawrence.
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1936.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations, portraits, facsimiles, maps ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA490 .L39 1936+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Printed and published in Great Britain by Christopher Sandford, Francis J. Newbery, and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press, 10 Staple Inn, London, and completed on the 20th May 1936. The edition is limited to 1000 numbered copies printed in Perpetua type on British mould-made paper."--Colophon.
Foreword in volume 1 by A. W. Lawrence. Preface in volume 2 by Mrs. S. Lawrence
Volume 1 contains the author's thesis, written in connection with his history examination at Jesus College, Oxford on the subject: The influence of the crusades on European military architecture to the end of the twelfth century. The letters (volume 2) are selected from those which Lawrence wrote while on visits to castles in France, England, Wales, and Syria, in search of data for the thesis.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 112
BEIN Iq L438 936C: No. 588.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 805 of 1000. Bound in red half morocco and white cloth, by Sangorski & Sutcliffe. Two folded maps, one of Palestine and one of upper Syria, removed to separate folder.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Medieval -- Latin Orient.Castles -- Latin Orient.Castles -- Middle East -- History.Lawrence, T. E. (Thomas Edward), 1888-1935 -- Correspondence.Military architecture -- Latin Orient.Military architecture.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Photomechanical prints -- 1936.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.