Utopia / written by Sir Thomas More ; [and translated into English by Ralph Robinson].
- Additional Title(s):
- Now revised : by F. S. Ellis.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 282 p., 1 l. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHX810.5 .E54 1893Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN If M81 rg893: Bound in brown crushed levant, by Donnelley Chicago. 300 copies on paper, 8 on vellum, this copy is on paper.
Original title: A frutefull pleasaunt, and wittie worke of the beste state of publique weale, & of the newe yle, called Utopia: written in Latine, by ... Syr Thomas More knyght, and translated into Englishe by Raphe Robynson ... Imprinted at London, by Abraham Wele ...
Reprint of the edition of 1556 with a foreword by Morris.
Colophon: Now revised by F.S. Ellis & printed again by William Morris at the Kelmscott Press, Hammersmith, in the county of Middlesex. Finished the 4th day of August, 1893 [Printer's device] Sold by Reeves & Turner, 196, Strand.
Chaucer type, with the reprinted title in Troy type; headings and marginal notes in red.
Peterson, W.S. Bibliography of the Kelmscott Press A16
BAC: British Art Center copy is one of 8 on vellum. Bound in limp vellum, with silk ties.
- Subject Terms:
- Kelmscott Press -- Publisher. (BACRB)Morris, William -- Printer. (BACRB)Utopias.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1893. (BACRB)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.