Universal building-blocks box =, [late 19th century?]
- Universal building-blocks box = Boite à construction en bois = Universal-Holzbaukasten.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Boite à construction en bois
- Made in Germany : [publisher not identified], [late 19th century?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 set of building blocks (63 pieces) : wood ; various sizes, in wooden box 17 x 24 x 5 and 1 volume ( leaves) : illustrations ; 14 x 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process (Cabinet H)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title from lithographed illustration on box lid. An illustration on the underside of the lid demonstrates a layout for fitting all of the pieces back into the box.
The 63 building blocks are accompanied by peg-shaped metal fasteners which, used in combination with the recessed holes in each wooden piece, serve to stabilize the assembled edifice. Issued with a booklet containing eight illustrations of 26 structures that may be assembled from the present set of blocks. Some of illustrations depict water flowing through elements of the structures. The structures are named in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Russian. At the end of the booklet are brief directions in English, French, and German.
Description based on the copy at the Yale Center for British Art, in which the front cover of the booklet is lacking.
"Patented in all parts of the world."
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Block building (Children's activity)Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Building blocks.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.