Reeves & Sons (London, England), Watercolor box, mid-19th centry
- Watercolor box.
- London : Reeves & Sons, Ltd., mid-19th centry.
- Physical Description:
- 1 paint box : rosewood ; 25 x 34 x 10 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsWatercolor Box 11a In Process (Cabinet I)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Rosewood watercolor box, manufactured by Reeves and Sons, London, mid-19th century. The box is intact, with original brass hinges and latch. The underside of the lid is gilt stamped: "Reeves & Sons, 113 Cheapside, London." A narrow drawer at the base of the box house assorted implements for painting and gilding. The largest portion of the main compartment is is given to a tray bearing 24 pigment tablets (in three rows of eight), each color identified in a printed slip affixed below each row. The colors comprise: Prus. blue, gamboge, crim. lake, green bice, light red, sepia, Roman ochre, sap. green, raw sienna, indigo, vermilion, bt. sienna, yel. ochre, van. brown, white, Fr. ultrame., Indian red, emerld. green, bt. umber, cobalt, black, chrome yel., Venetian red., and bron. madder. All appear used, but there is some degradation to the bron. madder. Each bears the stamped image of the Reeves & Sons greyhound.
Also present are: five porcelain mixing dishes; one glass; one cork-stopped vial of wax water megilp; brushes, pencils, pens, and erasers; pen nibs; a tin box of Conté crayon (gray, sepia and white) and charcoal sticks; a small tin of thumb tacks; and parallel rules.
Restricted fragile material. Use requires permission of the Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' materials -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Reeves & Sons (London, England)Watercolor painting -- 19th century -- Great Britain.
Parallel rules (drafting tools)
Nibs (pen points)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.