Cockerell, Sydney Carlyle, Sir, 1867-1962, Some German woodcuts of the fifteenth century, 1897]
Some German woodcuts of the fifteenth century.
- [Hammersmith : Kelmscott Press, 1897]
- Physical Description:
- xi,  p., 23 leaves, 24-36,  p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1050 .C73 1897+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Colophon: The blocks (with one exception) were prepared by Walker and Boutall under the direction of the late William Morris. Now edited by S.C. Cockerell, and printed at the Kelmscott Press, Upper Mall, Hammersmith. Finished on the 15th day of December, 1897.
"Preface, being extracts from an article by William Morris on the artistic qualities of the woodcut books of Ulm and Augsburg in the fifteenth century": p. v-ix.
"Of the 35 reproductions ... here given, 29 are all that were done of a series chosen by William Morris to appear in the catalogue of his library, which was to have been annotated by him and printed at the Kelmscott press. The other 6 were made for his article in the 4th number of Bibliographica on the early woodcut books of Ulm & Augsburg:" p. iii.
225 paper copies. 8 vellum copies.
Peterson, W.S. Bibliography of the Kelmscott Press A49
BAC: British Art Center copy is one of 8 on vellum. Bound in blue paper on boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Kelmoscott Press -- Publisher.Wood-engraving, German -- 15th century.
- Woodcuts -- 1897.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.