Feng, Menglong, 1574-1646, Glue and lacquer , 1941
- Glue and lacquer : four cautionary tales / translated from the Chinese by Harold Acton & Lee Yi-hsieh ; preface by Arthur Waley ; with illustrations from drawings by Eric Gill interpreted on copper by Denis Tegetmeier.
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1941.
- Physical Description:
- 139,  pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPL2446 .F4613 1941Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title in Chinese on cover.
"Printed in London by Christopher Sandford and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press during the Battle of London. Compositor, E.W. Trevis. Pressman, W.H. Solly. The edition, completed on the 28th day of April, 1941, is limited to 350 copies. The 'Specials' (Nos. 1-30) are printed on hand-made paper, bound in full morocco and accompanied by collotype reproducions of Eric Gill's drawings. The 'Ordinaries' (Nos. 31-350) are printed on mould-made paper and bound in 1/4 morocco."--Colophon.
"These four stories are from a collection called Hsing shih hêng yen ... They were published in 1627 by a certain Fêng Mêng-lung ... Fêng Mêng-lung figures as the 'editor' of the series. This means that he collected and arranged already-existing stories."--Preface.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 149
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 4 of 350; one of 30 "Special" copies printed on hand-made paper, bound in dark blue full morocco (by Sangorski & Sutcliffe), and accompanied by collotype reproductions of Eric Gill's drawings.
- The mandarin-duck girdle -- Brother or bride? -- The pre-destined couple -- Love in a junk.
- Subject Terms:
- China.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Tales -- China.Tales.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Engravings -- 1941.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.