The Golden Cockerel Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám / translated by Edward FitzGerald ; the first edition reprinted, together with FitzGerald's monk-Latin version now printed for the first time ; translations of the Latin & of the Persian originals and a critical essay by Sir E. Denison Ross ; introduction by Charles Ganz ; line engravings by John Buckland-Wright.
- Additional Title(s):
Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1938.
- Physical Description:
- , 5-99,  pages : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPK6513 .A1 1938+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The Latin quatrains here printed for the first time were written on eight sheets of paper now belonging to Trinity College, Cambridge."--Page 67.
"This Edition has been printed by Christopher & Anthony Sandford and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press, Rolls Passage, London, E.C.4, in Perpetua type on Golden Cockerel paper made by Arnold & Foster. Preparation of the edition was begun in October, 1936, and finished in August, 1938. Three hundred copies only have been printed and the type has been distributed. Nos. 1-30 are accompanied by 5 additional engravings, and collotype facsimiles of FitzGerald's Monk-Latin ms. Nos. 31-300 have simply the 8 engravings printed with the text."--Colophon.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 15 of 300. One of 30 copies accompanied by 5 additional engravings, and collotype facsimiles of FitzGerald's Monk-Latin ms. in pocket at end. Bound in gilt-stamped white morocco by Sangorski & Sutcliffe. Signed by John Buckland-Wright, E. Denison Ross, and Charles Ganz.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 138
- Subject Terms:
- Buckland Wright, John -- Autograph.Ganz, Charles -- Autograph.Persian poetry -- Translations into English.Persian poetry -- Translations into Latin.Persian poetry.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Ross, E. Denison -- Autograph.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Engravings -- 1938.
Collotypes -- England -- 20th century.
Line engravings -- England -- 20th century.
Typefaces (Type evidence) -- Perpetua.
YCBA Collections Search
Omar Khayyam, The Golden Cockerel Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám , 1938
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.