The curious Mister Catesby : a "truly ingenious" naturalist explores new worlds / edited for the Catesby Commemorative Trust by E. Charles Nelson and David J. Elliott ; foreword by Jane O. Waring.
- Additional Title(s):
- Athens : The University of Georgia Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 425 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color), portraits (some color) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryQH31.C35 C87 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 351-383) and indexes.
"A bibliography for Mark Catesby": pages 385-402.
- Subject Terms:
- Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749 -- Influence.Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749.Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749. Natural history of Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands.Natural history -- North America -- Pictorial works.Natural history -- Southern States -- Pictorial works.Natural history illustration -- History -- 18th century.Natural history illustrators -- Southern States -- Biography.Naturalists -- Southern States -- Biography.
- "The truly honest, ingenious, and modest Mr. Mark Catesby, F.R.S." : documenting his life (1682/83-1749) / E. Charles Nelson
- Behind the scenes : Catesby the man, viewed through the lens of a camera / Cynthia P. Neal
- Mark Catesby's botanical forerunners in Virginia / Karen Reeds
- Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717) : pioneering naturalist, artist, and inspiration for Catesby / Kay Etheridge and Florence F.J.M. Pieters
- William Dampier (1651-1715) : the pirate of exquisite mind / Diana Preston and Michael Preston
- John Lawson's A new voyage to Carolina and his "Compleat history" : the Mark Catesby connection / Marcus B. Simpson Jr.
- Mark Catesby's world : England / Janet Browne
- Mark Catesby's world : Virginia / Sarah Hand Meacham
- Mark Catesby's Carolina adventure / Suzanne Linder Hurley
- Mark Catesby's Bahamian natural history (observed in 1725-1726) / Robert Robertson
- Mark Catesby's preparatory drawings for The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / Henrietta McBurney
- The publication of Mark Catesby's The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / Leslie K. Overstreet
- The plant collections of Mark Catesby in Oxford / Stephen A. Harris
- Carl Linnaeus and the influence of Mark Catesby's botanical work / C.E. Jarvis
- The economic botany and ethnobotany of Mark Catesby / W. Hardy Eshhaugh
- "Of birds of passage" : Mark Catesby and contemporary theories on bird migration and torpor / Shepard Krech III
- Catesby's animals (other than birds) in The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / Aaron M. Bauer
- Catesby's fundamental contributions to Linnaeus's binomial catalog of North American animals / Kraig Adler
- Mark Catesby's plant introductions and English gardens of the eighteenth century / Mark Laird
- Following in the footsteps of Mark Catesby / Judith Magee
- Inspiration from The natural history of Carolina... by Mark Catesby / Ghillean T. Prance
- Conclusions : Account, appendix, Hortus, and other endings among Mark Catesby's work / David J. Elliott
- Appendix : Identification of the plants and animals illustrated by Mark Catesby for The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / James L. Reveal.