The curious Mister Catesby : a "truly ingenious" naturalist explores new worlds / edited for the Catesby Commemorative Trust by E. Charles Nelson and David J. Elliott ; foreword by Jane O. Waring.
- Additional Title(s):
- Athens : The University of Georgia Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 425 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color), portraits (some color) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryQH31.C35 C87 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 351-383) and indexes.
"A bibliography for Mark Catesby": pages 385-402.
- Subject Terms:
- Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749 -- Influence.Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749.Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749. Natural history of Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands.Natural history -- North America -- Pictorial works.Natural history -- Southern States -- Pictorial works.Natural history illustration -- History -- 18th century.Natural history illustrators -- Southern States -- Biography.Naturalists -- Southern States -- Biography.
- "The truly honest, ingenious, and modest Mr. Mark Catesby, F.R.S." : documenting his life (1682/83-1749) / E. Charles Nelson
- Behind the scenes : Catesby the man, viewed through the lens of a camera / Cynthia P. Neal
- Mark Catesby's botanical forerunners in Virginia / Karen Reeds
- Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717) : pioneering naturalist, artist, and inspiration for Catesby / Kay Etheridge and Florence F.J.M. Pieters
- William Dampier (1651-1715) : the pirate of exquisite mind / Diana Preston and Michael Preston
- John Lawson's A new voyage to Carolina and his "Compleat history" : the Mark Catesby connection / Marcus B. Simpson Jr.
- Mark Catesby's world : England / Janet Browne
- Mark Catesby's world : Virginia / Sarah Hand Meacham
- Mark Catesby's Carolina adventure / Suzanne Linder Hurley
- Mark Catesby's Bahamian natural history (observed in 1725-1726) / Robert Robertson
- Mark Catesby's preparatory drawings for The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / Henrietta McBurney
- The publication of Mark Catesby's The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / Leslie K. Overstreet
- The plant collections of Mark Catesby in Oxford / Stephen A. Harris
- Carl Linnaeus and the influence of Mark Catesby's botanical work / C.E. Jarvis
- The economic botany and ethnobotany of Mark Catesby / W. Hardy Eshhaugh
- "Of birds of passage" : Mark Catesby and contemporary theories on bird migration and torpor / Shepard Krech III
- Catesby's animals (other than birds) in The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / Aaron M. Bauer
- Catesby's fundamental contributions to Linnaeus's binomial catalog of North American animals / Kraig Adler
- Mark Catesby's plant introductions and English gardens of the eighteenth century / Mark Laird
- Following in the footsteps of Mark Catesby / Judith Magee
- Inspiration from The natural history of Carolina... by Mark Catesby / Ghillean T. Prance
- Conclusions : Account, appendix, Hortus, and other endings among Mark Catesby's work / David J. Elliott
- Appendix : Identification of the plants and animals illustrated by Mark Catesby for The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama islands / James L. Reveal.