Salt & silver , 
- Salt & silver : early photography 1840-1860 : from the Wilson Centre for Photography / editors, Marta Braun, Hope Kingsley ; project editor, Polly Fleury.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Salt and silver
- First edition.
- London : MACK, 
- Physical Description:
- 195 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryTR395 .S342 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Salt and Silver : Early Photography 1840-1860", held at Tate Britain, 25 February - 7 June 2015.
"Salt prints are the very first photographs on paper that still exist today. Made in the first twenty years of photography, they are the results of esoteric knowledge and skill. Individual, sometimes unpredictable, and ultimately magical, the chemical capacity to "fix a shadow" on light sensitive paper, coated in silver salts, was believed to be a kind of alchemy, where nature drew its own picture. Salt and Silver brings together over 100 plates drawn from the Wilson Centre for Photography, accompanied by two roundtable discussions with curators, academics, historians and collectors from world renowned institutions. Encompassing many of the great works of the period, the publication includes prints by Edouard Baldus, Louis Blanquart-Evrard, Mathew Brady, Charles Clifford, Louis De Clercq, Maxime Du Camp, Roger Fenton, Jean-Baptiste Frenet, Charles Hugo, David Octavius Hill, Robert Adamson, Calvert Richard Jones, Gustave Le Gray, Henri Le Secq, Charles Marville, Felix Nadar, Charles Negre, Felice Beato, Auguste Salzmann, William Henry Fox Talbot, Felix Teynard and Linnaeus Tripe." -- Provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 189-191) and index.
- Introduction: Back to the future: William Henry Fox Talbot and the origins of contemporary photography / Simon Baker -- Preface to the roundtables -- Roundtable one / Simon Baker, Martin Barnes, Hans Kraus, Michael Wilson, Hope Kingsley -- Roundtable two / Elizabeth Edwards, Carol Jacobi, Hope Kingsley, Anne de Mondenard, Lori Pauli, Marta Braun -- Plates. Beginnings ; Modern life ; History and epic ; Portrait and presence -- Biographies -- Glossary.
- Subject Terms:
- Calotype -- Exhibitions.Photography -- History -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Wilson Center for Photography (London, England) -- Exhibitions.