The voyage of the Challenger : a personal narrative of the historic circumnavigation of the globe in the years 1872-1876 / by navigating Sub-Lieutenant Herbert Swire, R.N. ; illustrated with reproductions from paintings and drawings in his journals ; foreword by Major Roger Swire ; introduction by G. Herbert Fowler.
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1938.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations, maps; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQ115 .C43 1938+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Map on endpapers of volume 1.
"The Voyage of the Challenger" has been printed and illustrated with reproductions from the original manuscript journals in the possession of the author's widow, by Christopher and Anthony Sandford and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press, Rolls Passage, London, and completed on the 31st day of May, 1938. The edition is limited to 300 sets of the 2 volumes printed in Eric Gill's Perpetua type on Van Gelder paper."--Colophon.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 134
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 124 of 300. Bound in white quarter buckram with decorations in gold by Lettice Sandford and blue cloth boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Challenger Expedition (1872-1876)Discoveries in georgraphy.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Voyages around the world.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Photomechanical prints -- 1938.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.