Sutherland, Thomas, approximately 1785-approximately 1825, Fox hunting , 1817
Fox hunting / painted by Dean Wolstenholme ; engraved by Sutherland.
- London : Published June 5, 1817, by Burkitt & Hudson, 85, Cheapside, 1817.
- Physical Description:
- 4 prints : aquatints ; sheets 28 x 68 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2015 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title from lower margin (on each print).
Each print has lines of verse below the subject: 1. Look how she pants! and o'er yon op'ning glade ... 2. New, my brave youths ... 3. Distress'd he flies ... 4. And, if to crown my joys ...
"Siltzer p. 310 records a later edition published by Ackermann as 1. Going out, 2. Full cry, 3. The death, and 4. Refreshment, each with the first line of the verse."--Snelgrove.
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, 1658-1874,, page 204
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, hawking, shooting, III, p. 168
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Prints are closely trimmed and matted.
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting -- Pictorial works.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.Hunting -- England -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1818.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.