Redaway, James C., active 1818-1857, Sample book of intaglio prints, 1850s?
Sample book of intaglio prints.
- England, 1850s?
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (39 prints) : engraving, etching, steel engraving ; 29 x 43 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNAYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- James Redaway, landscape and architectural engraver, was active in England from about 1818 to 1857. His work appeared in publications of views of Switzerland, Italy, Northumberland, Westmorland, India, and the Middle East. See: Hunnisett, Basil. An illustrated dictionary of British steel engravers (1989).
Bound in contemporary green quarter morocco and green cloth.
The volume comprises 39 prints, most proofs before titles, with notes and title to each written in graphite. The prints demonstrate a variety of intaglio techniques, including engraving, etching, and steel engraving. The prints are after Thomas Allom, W.H. Bartlett, Joseph Clayton Bentley, Robert William Billings, William Daniell, and William Leighton Leitch. The bound collection was presumably used as a sample book of Redaway's work.
- Subject Terms:
- Engravers -- Great Britain.Engraving -- Great Britain.Redaway, James C., active 1818-1857.
- Landscape prints.
- Titles transcribed as written on each print:  Bowness from Belle Isle Windermere
-  The Rush Bearing, Ambleside, Westmoreland
-  The Galilee West End of Durham Cathedral
-  The Grotto in Castle in Eden Dean
-  Crighton Castle
-  St. Anthony's Chapel & Holyrood House
-  Aberbrothwick Abbey
-  Borthwick Castle
-  Holyrood Chapel & Palace
-  Queen Mary's Bedroom, Holyrood Palace
-  Sand Pit Gate Windsor Park
-  Althorp, the Seat of Earl Spencer
-  Wandechy, a Summer Retreat of the Rajah of Bootan
-  Entrance to the Largest Excavated Cave in the Island of Salsette
-  Canton
-  Untitled view in Asia
-  Untitled view in Asia
-  Ruins of an Aquaduct and Temple at Zagwan, Africa
-  Mayence on the Rhine
-  Dagano and Church of Maria de Salute, Venice
-  Untitled alpine scene
-  Turkish Burial Ground at Saida with the Castle of Louis 9th
-  Village of [illegible] on the Rout from Beirout to Del Ramo
-  Pass of Aberfoil
-  Minan [?] of Elephants Teeth at Futty pore Sicri
-  The Entrance to the Holy Sepulcher, Jerusalem
-  Sefton Church
-  St. Peter's Rome
-  In Marble Paved Pavilion...
-  Untitled
-  Untitled island view
-  Constantinople
-  Oberwesel
-  Untitled Rhine (?) view
-  St. Mark's Place, Venice
-  Collosseum
-  March of Troops Through the Forest of Soigny
-  Untitled view of birds and dogs
-  Untitled castle.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.