A Victorian obsession : the Pérez Simón collection at Leighton House Museum / text, Véronique Gerard-Powell ; editor, Daniel Robbins ; translation, Laura Bennett.
- Additional Title(s):
Désirs et volupté à̀ l'époque victorienne. English.
- London : Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 222 pages : color illustrations ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryND467 .D3813 2014 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at Musée Jacquemart-André, Paris, September 13, 2013-January 20, 2014 ; at Chiostro del Bramante, Rome, February 15-June 5, 2014 ; at Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid, June 23-October 5, 2014 ; and at Leighton House Museum, London, November 14, 2014-April 6, 2015.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 208-214) and index.
"A Victorian Obsession. The Pérez Simón collection at Leighton House Museum" presents over fifty two exceptional and rarely exhibited paintings by leading Victorian artists. The pictures all belong to the Mexican collector Juan Antonio Pérez Simón and form the largest private collection of Victorian art outside the UK. Six important pictures by Leighton himself have returned to the house in which they were first painted. Also on display are outstanding pictures by Albert Moore, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Edward Burne-Jones, John Everett Millais, John William Waterhouse, Edward Poynter, John Strudwick and John William Godward. These artists knew Leighton and were entertained at his house. The collection's highlight is Lawrence Alma-Tadema's magnificent 'The Roses of Heliogabalus', one of the most iconic images of Victorian art which is now exhibited in London for the first time since 1913.--http://www.rbkc.gov.uk.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections.Collectors and collecting -- Exhibitions.Collectors and collecting.Great Britain.Leighton of Stretton, Frederic Leighton, Baron, 1830-1896 -- Art collections -- Exhibitions.Leighton of Stretton, Frederic Leighton, Baron, 1830-1896.Mexico.Painting -- Private collections -- Mexico -- Exhibitions.Painting -- Private collections.Painting, British -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Painting, British.Painting, Victorian -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Painting, Victorian.Pérez Simón, Juan Antonio -- Art collections -- Exhibitions.Pérez Simón, Juan Antonio.Sensuality in art -- Exhibitions.Sensuality in art.Women in art -- Exhibitions.Women in art.
- Exhibition catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
A Victorian obsession , 2014