The Cobbe cabinet of curiosities , 2015
- The Cobbe cabinet of curiosities : an Anglo-Irish country house museum / edited by Arthur MacGregor.
- New Haven : Published for the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art by Yale University Press, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 495 pages : illustrations ; 31 cm
- Reference LibraryAM401.C63 M33 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-The cabinet of curiosities at the turn of the nineteenth century: the Cobbe museum and its contemporaries -- Archbishop Cobbe Swiftiana -- Cabinets and furniture -- Zoological curios and taxidermy -- Insects -- Shells -- Charles Cobbe's herbarium -- Minerals, rocks and fossils, and geological curios -- Antlers of Megaceros -- Stone projectile tips -- Classical and Egyptian antiquities -- Coins and medals -- Lithophane -- Gem facsimiles -- Early modern curiosities -- Anatomical illustration -- India -- Burma -- Nepal -- China and Japan -- Africa, the Pacific and North America -- The continuing collection.
- Subject Terms:
- Cobb family -- Art collections.Cobb family -- Natural history collections.Collectors and collecting -- Ireland -- History -- 18th century.Collectors and collecting -- Ireland -- History -- 19th century.Newbridge House.