- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, 1937.
Scotland : R. & R. Clark, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, , 844,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4563 .A1 1937Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The text of this volume follows the 'Charles Dickens' Edition, which Dickens himself revised. The headlines of right-hand pages in that Edition are printed in the margins of this book against the relevant passages. The illustrations are printed from the plates etched for the First Edition, and the title pages for the two volumes of the Library Edition of 1858-59, also printed from the original steels, have been added. The cover-design of the monthly parts and the frontispiece to the Cheap Edition are printed from the original wood-blocks."--Page V.
"This edition of Martin Chuzzlewit, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. The text has been printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark Ltd., in this specially-cut version of Martin's type; the illustrations have been pulled by hand from the original plates by A. Alexander and Sons; the binding is executed by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Co., Ltd.; and the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original olive buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- Avarice -- Fiction.British -- United States -- Fiction.England -- Fiction.Grandfathers -- Fiction.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.United States -- Description and travel -- Fiction.Young men -- Fiction.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Etchings -- 1937.
Engravings -- 1937.
Black humor (Literature)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.